Saturday, September 1, 2012

Writing has been tough lately.  It's something I love to do but there are so many distractions and responsibilities that it is really hard to make myself sit down and commit to the process.  With that in mind, I'm going to take the advice of the late Ray Bradbury: write every day.

Now I know there's a lot more good advice floating around out there but that's just another distraction for me.  Every minute I spend reading or listening to advice from others about how to write is a minute I could actually be writing.  At the moment, I've got two novels in progress and another "episode" in my fan-fiction series for the TV show Psych.

I can't complain: I've got two completed novels and a novel's worth of fan fiction.  I've also got two "screenplays" that I wrote for work: a pair of fun training videos - one done as The Twilight Zone and one as Mission: Impossible.  I've been asked to do a third one and the concept I keep coming back to is the Wizard of Oz.  So yeah...  Another project to work on!

So I am going to make it my goal to actually do what Bradbury suggests.  Writing SOMETHING every day: a blog post, a new chapter in one of my novels or fan fiction, or maybe even something for an entirely new or different project.  I know that if I ever want to make this more than just a hobby, I have to do it.  Hmmm...  November is coming up.  Maybe it's time to do National Novel Writing Month.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

Take the month of November and really go crazy on writing?  We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment