Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Drabble #2: My Little Time Traveller

Last weekend, my daughter was watching Phineas and Ferb yesterday (thank you Netflix!) and after an episode involving time travel, she said those exact words from the first line of the scene below.  Later, my wife and I watched the latest Doctor Who and I couldn't get her little voice out of my head. This drabble was born. Enjoy!

--------------------

“I wish I had a time travel device to go meet my ancestors!” The young girl’s voice cut through the stillness of the lazy Sunday morning.

The girl’s father sat behind his desk, sipping his coffee and watching over her while cartoons played in the background. A small smile slid over his lips as he muttered softly to himself, “that’s my girl.”

“I know daddy, I have to be careful though. If I change anything, it could cause a pair of ducks. I don’t know why that’s bad, but the Doctor guy with the blue box - he said it could really mess everything up.”

“I think you mean ‘paradox’, honey.” he said, the grin becoming wider. ”And yeah, those are very bad. Has mommy been letting you watch our shows again?”

She played with her dolls, not answering for a little while. Distractedly, she responded “No, I just had a long talk with the man. He was really funny. He asked if we had any fish fingers, but I laughed at him and said that fish don’t have fingers. I hope he comes back again some day.”

Goosebumps appeared on his arms as a cold shiver ran up his back. ”What man are you talking about? Who was it?”

She turned an angelic smile up at him and said matter-of-factly, “Yep! That’s him!”


No comments:

Post a Comment